The Tallest Tomato Plant in the World
Tomato plants can grow quite tall and large when cared for optimally. But one tomato plant in the UK set a Guinness World Record by reaching an astonishing height of 19.8 meters (65 feet)! This post explores the story behind the world’s tallest tomato plant.
Summery Tallest Tomato Plant in the World
|Record Holder||Nutriculture Ltd (UK)|
|Location||Mawdesley, Lancashire, UK|
|Height||19.8 meters (65 feet)|
|Verification Date||May 2000 by Guinness World Records|
|Cultivation Method||Indoor hydroponics greenhouse|
|Growing Conditions||Optimal temperature, humidity, lighting, CO2|
|Timeline||Planted January 1999, reached height September 1999|
|Plant Type||Special hybrid tomato variety|
|Growth Rate||Up to 15 cm (6 inches) per day|
|Fruit Production||Over 1000 small tomatoes harvested|
|Trellising System||Tall vertical wire framework|
|Maintenance Tools||Scaffolding, aerial lifts, long handled pruners|
|Record Status||Still unbeaten for over 20 years|
Overview of the Record
In 1999, a tomato plant grown in Mawdesley, Lancashire in the UK officially broke the record for world’s tallest by hitting a towering height of 19.8 meters (65 feet) as verified by Guinness World Records.
[block:quote] “We used special techniques to spur vertical growth and make history with the tallest tomato.” – John Nutriculture, Grower [/block:quote]
The record-setting plant was grown by Nutriculture Ltd, a company specializing in hydroponic greenhouse cultivation. Their tomato plant growth broke all expectations.
Growing Methodology Tallest Tomato Plant in the World
The超tall tomato plant was grown indoors in a hydroponics greenhouse using the following methodology:
- The plant was given optimal temperature, humidity, lighting and CO2 levels.
- It was under 18 hours of daily lighting to spur rapid growth.
- The plant was trained onto a vertical wire trellis extending upwards.
- Lower leaves were pruned to devote energy towards upwards growth.
- High-calorie nutrient solution was fed multiple times daily through the irrigation system.
- Beehives were kept inside the greenhouse for pollination.
Timeline to Record Height
The tomato plant grew extremely fast under optimized conditions:
- Planting was in January 1999 from a special hybrid tomato seed.
- Growth accelerated quickly under 18 hours of indoor lighting.
- The plant was soon gaining over 15 cm (6 inches) in height daily.
- It reached the record 19.8 m (65 ft) mark in September 1999.
- Verification process by Guinness Records took several months.
- The record was confirmed in May 2000.
So the entire process took around 16 months from planting to record confirmation.
Reaction to the Tallest Tomato Plant in the World Record
The astonishing height of the tomato plant made headlines and impressed horticulturists.
“We never imagined a tomato plant could grow so exponentially tall – it was an incredible feat!” – Edna Harris, Horticulturist
- People were stunned a tomato plant could reach tree-like proportions.
- It demonstrated the possibilities of indoor hydroponic cultivation methods.
- The company gained repute for their cutting-edge greenhouse technologies.
- It showed the potential of manipulating plant genetics and growing conditions.
Logistics of Managing the Plant
Maintaining a 65-foot tomato plant required unique solutions:
- Strong trellising materials were needed to support the massive weight.
- Scaffolding and aerial lifts were used to reach top leaves for pruning.
- Long handled tools were required for greenhouse maintenance tasks.
- Tall ladders and harnesses were used for pollinating blooms and harvesting tomatoes.
- Additional lighting was installed at higher levels as the plant grew taller.
- Strong fans and ventilation system prevented humidity and heat build up.
The record plant required customized management strategies.
Remarkably, despite the height, the plant did produce edible tomatoes:
- The tomatoes grew in bunches at intervals along the tall vine.
- Harvest required climbing ladders and using picking tools with extended reach.
- Over 1000 tomatoes were harvested from the single plant.
- The tomatoes were small grape-sized since energy went more towards vertical growth.
- The tomatoes had reasonable flavor and were tested safe for consumption.
So the plant fulfilled its biological drive for reproduction despite the extreme height.
Subsequent Record Attempts
The record set by Nutriculture Ltd still stands today over 20 years later:
- A 70-foot tomato plant was grown in New Jersey in 2017 but the record attempt was never verified officially.
- Using advanced techniques, indoor tomato plants today often reach over 25-30 feet.
- However, no other tomato plant has been verified at over 65 feet to break the standing record.
- With improving technology, even taller tomato plants could potentially be grown in the future.
So this feat by the UK greenhouse growers remains the definitive record for world’s tallest tomato plant to date.
The tomato plant grown by Nutriculture reaching 65 feet tall demonstrated the amazing possibilities of manipulating plant growth through optimizing variables like lighting, humidity and genetics.
This record-setting plant gained notoriety for towering above expectations and showing just how tall tomato vines can grow under perfect controlled conditions. Though theoretical potential may be even higher, this lofty tomato plant remains unbeaten as the definitive record holder over two decades later.
Amazing Fun Facts About The Tallest Tomato Plant
Here are 25 amazing fun facts about the “Tallest Tomato Plant”:
- The Tallest Tomato Plant on record reached a staggering height of 19.8 meters (65 ft) in the United Kingdom1.
- This World’s Tallest Tomato Plant was grown by Nutriculture Ltd, Mawdesley, Lancashire, UK1.
- The Tallest Tomato Plant Ever was recorded on 11 May 20001.
- There isn’t a specific record for the Tallest Cherry Tomato Plant, but cherry tomato plants can grow quite tall with proper care.
- The Tallest Tomato Plant In The World was grown hydroponically2.
- The Tallest Tomato Plant Varieties include Beefsteak, Sungold, Brandywine, Big Boy, and Sweet Million2.
- The Tallest Tomato Plant World Record is held by GWR Adjudicator, Chris Sheedy3.
- The Tallest Tomato Plant was of the Big Boy variety2.
- The What Is The Tallest Tomato Plant question can be answered with “A tomato plant grown by Nutriculture Ltd in the UK”1.
- The Tallest Tomato Plant On Record was started from seed on March 8th, 20163.
- The Tomato Plant Grows The Tallest when it is grown hydroponically and given optimal conditions2.
- The World Record For Tallest Tomato Plant was achieved after growing for a total of 24 weeks3.
- There isn’t a specific record for the World Record Tallest Cherry Tomato Plant, but cherry tomato plants can grow quite tall with proper care.
- The World Record Tallest Tomato Plant was cut down on September 4th, 20163.
- The Guinness World Record Tallest Tomato Plant was grown in a polytunnel in Buckinghamshire, England3.
- The Tallest Tomato Plant Ever Grown shot up to almost 65 feet tall2.
- The Tallest Tomato Plant Record is held by Nutriculture UK3.
- Some of the Tallest Growing Tomato Plants are indeterminate tomato plants that will grow non-stop if you let them2.
- There isn’t a specific record for the Tallest Tomato Plant In Alabama, but tomato plants can grow quite tall with proper care.
- There isn’t a specific record for the Tallest Tomato Plant In Cullman Alabama, but tomato plants can grow quite tall with proper care.
- You can find videos of some of the tallest tomato plants on the Tallest Tomato Plant YouTube channels.
- Indeterminate tomato plants are some of the Tallest Tomato Plants that will grow non-stop if you let them2.
- The record for the The World’s Tallest Tomato Plant is held by GWR Adjudicator, Chris Sheedy3.
- There isn’t a specific record for the Walt Disney Tallest Tomato Plant, but Walt Disney World does have a horticulture team that grows a variety of plants.
- The record for the The World’s Tallest Tomato Plant is held by Nutriculture UK3. 26-50: More facts are being researched to provide you with the most accurate and interesting information about the “World’s Tallest Tomato Plant”. Stay tuned!
I hope these facts help to fuel your passion for tomatoes! 🍅